The Nebraska Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) provides low-income senior citizens with coupons to purchase fresh produce of honey (pure only) at Nebraska farmers markets and roadside stands. The purpose of the program are to provide fresh, nutritious, unprepared, locally grown fruits, vegetables, herbs and honey to low income seniors and increase the consumption of agricultural commodities by expanding or aiding in the development of new farmers markets and roadside stands. Nebraska SFMNP State Plan of development was officially approved early in the year, allowing the state to continue the operation of this program for 2018.
In order for participants to be eligible for the program, individuals must meet categorical and income eligibility requirements:
* Categorically, participants must be 60 years fo age or older. Income eligibility is measured in one of two ways:
- One-person household’s annual gross income cannot exceed $22,459.
- Two-person household’s annual gross income cannot exceed $30,451.
* Older adults wanted to be considered for the program may be asked to provide documentation showing age and income eligibility at the time of registration.
* Older adults enrolled in the program will receive SFMNP coupons, which they will be available to exchange for fresh nutritious, locally grown, unprepared fruits, vegetables, herbs, and honey at registered farmers markets and roadside stands. Coupon distribution will start in June and may run through September. Coupons must be spent on or before October 31st, 2018. Coupons will be available through participating Area Agencies on Aging, local senior centers and local Commodity Supplemental Food Program local distribution sites. Cozad Grand Generation distribution dates: Friday, June 8th at 10am, Monday, June 11th at 10am and Monday, June 18th at 10am